Monday, May 19, 2014

Laced in Lattice - Final Project












Having been the project that I put the most thought and time into, the final project is one of my most conceptual works yet. I feel that without having the time to develop the conceptual elements behind the project I would not have been as satisfied with the turnout. 
I decided to use a woven structure as the core connecting element throughout the series because I think it is an apt metaphor in its demonstration of very separate entities being very obviously joined as one. It is descriptive of the beauty behind retaining individuality amidst adhering to the general. Time in identity serves as a context, which is the main exploration of my final project. I wanted to end the semester based on a my contextual experience, being a photography major, I believe in context. It gives us information about the past, present and future, but is to often taken lightly because it is not in the limelight. 
So, the idea that time as a context can become nonlinear is by literally and figuratively slicing the representations of the past and present and place it in a future form by destroying the context that is known and creating a new one. 
I moved to bring the structure taller as well, raising more surfaces, as to bring forward more dimension to the concept of time as a contextual frame and not a measuring ruler. Although measurements held a personal meaning to me in terms of lengths and widths of the paper, as well as paper weight, I believe that the intermingling of something considered as plain and ordinary as paper has a simple elegance in the idea of it. I wanted to be able to convey a message of depth but it speaks very silently, which is an element I would have liked to improve on. I would definitely move to experiment more with format by changing scale, material, display and presentation of the photo-sculptures and to see how these alterations will affect the final result of the project. 

No comments:

Post a Comment