Monday, May 5, 2014

A Minute of the Mundane - Sound Piece





When I first thought of the recordings I wanted to include, I was concerned with how much flexibility would come with editing them, but I was surprised with the immense potential in editing techniques and placements. I recorded the sound of a water tap running, scissors in action, and a popping sound made when one purses their lips. From those three recordings I was able to manipulate speed, duration, pitch, and volume all the while overlapping, extending, or intercepting tracks that made room for a great variety of sound effects and results differing from the original.
Overall I felt this was a rather cathartic experience, being able to analyze simple sounds and create complexity from it. I was glad to sit for an hour experimenting, and there was no limit to the outcome. Having to understand sounds in such a dissection was very informative, it gave me a chance to examine the ordinary and make it more.

No comments:

Post a Comment