Monday, April 7, 2014

Charcoal Stop Motion Animation - Goodbye.


I found my experience with charcoal very interesting. It was the first time I used charcoal as my medium and I became fascinated with the shadows it created. It lingered, not completely, but just enough so that my mistakes wouldn't be forgotten but instead incorporated. I've always had a fear of drawing because I felt the need to erase and redo, but with charcoal it is the simple movement of gliding across the paper, and a stroke becomes a ghost.
This project was definitely more time consuming than I had imagined, which is why my biggest critique is the length of the animation. There was a lot more detail in movement and fluidity in the beginning portion of the stop motion, but too little emphasis on the end, creating an abrupt finish that added to the title of the piece but not to the closure.
However, I did have a very great time discovering charcoal, and the project taught me what accomplishment truly feels like at 4 in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment