Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Reflection - TIme Map

I really enjoyed this project because the result incorporated a lot of layers that I had not previously expected to be included when I first began brainstorming. The appearance of a book with two hardcover ends was a suggestion that I appreciated since it adds a formality to the piece that I believe acts as a conclusive final touch. I chose tracing paper as my structural material because the opacity and fragility of tracing paper represents an organic element that I wanted to add to the object. Photographs are suspended in the folds of the tracing paper, and their suspension with scrapbook masking tape edges are also meant to give an additional sense of rawness. If I were to remake the project however, I would definitely place greater emphasis on the mechanism of unfolding and refolding of the expanding structure, which takes away from understanding the project because it is such a distraction and effort to worry about the process that comes with viewing the object. It was intentional to subject the audience to a physicality in movement and unraveling but the involvement of this physicality was so prominent it shadowed the actual object and its content.

No comments:

Post a Comment